Saturday, May 23, 2009

Counterstrike....

Something is eating my tomatoes. And it isn't worms or bugs.

I've been going out to the garden daily to pick tomatoes, only to find that I must share my bounty with some kind of creature that takes large bites out of my fruit and runs off. At first I thought it was squirrels, but then I staked out by the window and learned who the culprit actually was.

It was birds. Mockingbirds to be exact. They have been flying into my garden and pecking my tomatoes to death and then leaving them like that on the vine. Don't believe me? Check out this 'mater that I picked today.So the little Apples asked if they could try building a scarecrow. And build, we did. Meet Moe, the Scarecrow. Except, Moe isn't really all that scary.


As a matter of fact, I think the birds will all die laughing before they are afraid of Moe. Let's wait and see what happens.

2 comments:

astzt1027 said...

Try deer netting. That should keep the feathered thieves away.

Anna said...

:) Funny... I have had large black birds eat my tomatoes before.

Well, anyways... I have completely enclosed my tomatoes in netting before like deer netting. It is a pain but it does work.

It all depends on whether you planted enough tomatoes to share or not. :)